16 January 2012

More Time to Test

  My company has recently announced that it has ended support for IE7. Lets all be thankful for that. Ever since I started testing web applications, I have had one heuristic that has served me well:

  'If it is going to break, it will break in IEx' - the x was originally IE6, then IE7 and now it is IE8.

   The sad thing is, I actually like IE. I preferred the interfaces of 6, 7 and 8 to the minimalist style of Chrome, FF4+ and now IE9. I have used it for years, meaning I had little trouble in finding settings, since I knew the general menu layout as well as the terminology it uses.
  But the fact remains that, unless I have specific reason to use another browser for testing, I have to use IE8 because any problems that are in the software that are browser related, are likely to be caused by IE incompatibility than anything else.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting heristic...
    As per my experience with IE is everything works fine in IE8 but fails in IE6 and IE9 :-)

    ReplyDelete